This program is a one-day immersive workshop that can help professionals in all walks of life prevent burnout and increase their long-term resilience to excessive work-related stress. It’s based on a novel way of delivering Acceptance and Commitment Training, (ACT pronounced as the word “act”), a science-based approach with a proven track record of helping folks face a range of psychological and behavioral challenges and function optimally in important life domains such as relationships, work, leisure and self-care.
The program allows participant to explore and practice each of the six steps and observe changes both right away and over the next few weeks. The program comes with an 8-weeks course of easy-to-digest support materials to reinforce its main learning point.
1. Discovering your Life Map. In this first step, participants will practice establishing their Life Map, an intuitive diagram that helps them spell out their desired life directions as well as their main obstacles and what they tend to do. Difficult situations such as workplace crises will be touched upon and mapped out onto the Life Map.
2. Getting out of your Stuck Loops. Participants will uncover the reflexive human tendency to get “stuck” into unhelpful loops to move away from unwanted inner experience and how easily such loops can show up in work settings and relationships.
3. The art of not getting hooked. After “looking under the hood” at what makes humans get stuck so easily, participants will engage in the powerful “Fishing is not catching” exercise that can help them not get caught up by “hooky” thoughts, feelings and memories.
4. Keeping your balance and moving forward in tricky situations. Next participants will learn the powerful practice of “Verbal Aikido”. Through seven simple and intuitive questions, participants will learn how to “pause, Notice and Choose” in difficult situations and exchanges so as to become better able to make space for difficult emotion while acting like the person they want to be.
5. Soothing the inner kittens. In this step, participants will practice, through an engaging metaphor, empathy and self-compassion, two major building blocks of psychological resilience, well-being and lasting self-esteem.
6. Teleporting to the garden of your life. In step six, participants will engage in the powerful “Teleportation” exercise. Through teleportation they will learn how they can become their best friend and give themselves effective support in future situations in which stress or other unwanted emotions might threaten to overwhelm them and stop them from doing what they would most want to do. Finally, participants will discover the “Garden of your valued life” exercise”, a powerful tool to guide and motivate their continuing progress over time.
After having completed the workshop, participants will be given access to a novel tool that can be accessed by a smartphone app and which has been proven to increase the probability of moving toward one’s most deeply held values.
This workshop can be tailored to meet the particular needs of a range of professionals: executives, health professionals, therapists and counsellors, teachers, emergency workers and first responders. It can also be extended over 2 days for a deeper learning experience. Don’t hesitate to communicate.
Workshop leader: Benjamin Schoendorff. Benji is a leading international ACT trainer who has facilitated over 250 workshops on every continent. Benji has worked with health professionals, students, teachers and with organizations and teams seeking to help others or themselves face the challenges of life so as to move toward valued outcomes.